Jerry Seinfeld is one of the most successful and influential comedians ever. He is best known for co-creating and starring in the sitcom Seinfeld, which ran for nine seasons on NBC from 1989 to 1998. He is also a renowned stand-up comedian, actor, writer, producer, and host of the Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee web series. This article will explore his life, career, achievements, and personal details.
Early Life and Education
Jerry Seinfeld was born on April 29, 1954 in Brooklyn, New York City. His father, Kálmán Seinfeld, was a Jewish sign painter who collected jokes he heard while serving in World War II. His mother, Betty (née Hosni), and her parents were Jews from Aleppo, Syria. Jerry has an older sister named Carolyn. He grew up in Massapequa, New York, and attended Massapequa High School on Long Island. At 16, he spent time volunteering in Kibbutz Sa’ar in Israel. He graduated from Queens College, City University of New York, in 1976 with a degree in communications and theater.
Jerry Seinfeld is one of the richest comedians in the world, with an estimated net worth of $950 million as of 2021. He earned most of his fortune from his sitcom Seinfeld, which has generated billions of dollars in syndication revenue over the years. He earns millions from stand-up tours, Netflix deals, book sales, and car collection. He is known for his philanthropy and has donated millions of dollars to various causes, such as education, health, environment, and arts.
Seinfeld developed an interest in stand-up comedy after brief stints in college productions. While attending Queens College, he appeared on open-mic nights at Budd Friedman’s Improv Club. His first significant break came in 1981 when he was featured on The Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson. From there, he appeared on other television shows and specials and became a well-known figure in the comedy world.
In 1988, Seinfeld and Larry David created the sitcom The Seinfeld Chronicles for NBC. The show was renamed Seinfeld to avoid confusion with another sitcom. Jerry played a semi-fictionalized version of himself, a neurotic comedian living in New York City with his eccentric friends: George Costanza (Jason Alexander), Elaine Benes (Julia Louis-Dreyfus), and Cosmo Kramer (Michael Richards). The show was known for its observational humor, quirky characters, and unconventional plots that often revolved around mundane topics such as parking spaces, soup, and shrinkage. The show aired nine seasons and became one of the most acclaimed and popular sitcoms ever. It won 10 Primetime Emmy Awards and three Golden Globe Awards. It also influenced many other comedians and sitcoms in the following years.
Jerry Seinfeld Wife
Jerry Seinfeld’s wife is Jessica Sklar, whom he married on December 25, 1999. Jessica is an author and philanthropist who founded the GOOD+ Foundation (formerly Baby Buggy), a charitable organization that provides essential items for families in need throughout New York City. They have three children: Sascha, Julian, and Shepherd.
Jerry Seinfeld cast
The cast of Seinfeld consists of the following primary and recurring actors and characters:
- Jerry Seinfeld as Jerry Seinfeld, a stand-up comedian and the show’s central character. He is often involved in absurd situations with his friends and dates. He is obsessed with cleanliness, order, and trivial details. He is also a fan of Superman and cereal.
- Julia Louis-Dreyfus as Elaine Benes, Jerry’s ex-girlfriend and one of his best friends. She is an innovative, independent, and assertive woman who works as a writer and editor for various publications. She often clashes with her bosses, co-workers, and dates. She is also fond of dancing, although she has a terrible style.
- Michael Richards as Cosmo Kramer, Jerry’s eccentric neighbor who lives across the hall. He is a self-proclaimed entrepreneur who often creates bizarre schemes and inventions. He frequently barges into Jerry’s apartment without knocking and helps himself to his food and belongings. He is also known for his wild hair, quirky mannerisms, and catchphrase “Giddy up!”
- Jason Alexander as George Costanza, Jerry’s childhood friend and one of his closest confidants. He is a neurotic, insecure, and dishonest man who struggles with various aspects of his life, career, relationships, family, and health. He often lies, cheats, and schemes to get ahead or avoid trouble. He is also bald, short, and cheap.
- Wayne Knight as Newman, Jerry’s nemesis and Kramer’s friend. He is a mailman who lives in the same building as Jerry and Kramer. He is overweight, greedy, sneaky, and spiteful. He often antagonizes Jerry and tries to ruin his plans. He also has a crush on Elaine and a fondness for food.
- Heidi Swedberg as Susan Ross, George’s fiancée who dies from licking toxic envelopes. She was an executive at NBC who worked with Jerry and George on their sitcom pilot. She was also a former girlfriend of Kramer and an ex-lesbian. She had a strained relationship with George’s parents and a pet cockatoo named Fredo.
- John O’Hurley as J. Peterman, Elaine’s boss at the J. Peterman Catalog. He is a striking and adventurous man who travels worldwide, searching for exotic items for his catalog. He often tells elaborate stories about his experiences and expects Elaine to write them up for his customers. He also has a fascination with the urban sombrero.
- Frank and Estelle Costanza (Jerry Stiller and Estelle Harris), George’s parents, live in Queens. They are loud, argumentative, and eccentric people who often interfere with George’s life and cause him stress. Frank is a former salesman who invented the Festivus holiday and the massive (or bro). Estelle is a nagging woman who loves TV Guide and hates cooking.
Jerry Seinfeld Age & Height
Jerry Seinfeld was born on April 29, 1954, which means he is 69 years old as of 2023. He is also tall, 5 feet 11 inches (1.80 m), and weighs 79 kg (175 lbs). His hair color is black, and his eye color is amber.