Penelope Cruz is a Spanish actress who has achieved fame and recognition in both Spanish and English language films. She is the only Spanish actress to have won an Oscar and to have received a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame. She has also been nominated for four Golden Globes, a Primetime Emmy, and a BAFTA Award. In this article, we will explore her net worth, wiki, age, height, career and more.
Penelope Cruz Net Worth
Penelope Cruz has an estimated net worth of $75 million as of 2021. She has earned most of her wealth from her acting career, as well as from endorsements and modeling contracts. She has been a spokesperson for brands such as Mango, Ralph Lauren, L’Oréal, and Chanel. She has also designed clothing lines for Mango and Agent Provocateur with her sister Monica Cruz.
Penelope Cruz Wiki
On April 28, 1974, Penelope Cruz was born in Alcobendas, Madrid, Spain. Her full name is Penelope Cruz Sanchez. Her parents are Eduardo Cruz, a car mechanic and retailer, and Encarna Sanchez, a hairdresser and personal manager. She has two siblings: Monica Cruz, also an actress, and Eduardo Cruz, a singer. She also has a half-sister named Salma from her father’s second marriage.
Cruz grew up in a Catholic household and attended Spain’s National Conservatory of Ballet for nine years. She also studied classical ballet with prominent dancers such as Angela Garrido and Joaquin Cortes. She developed an interest in acting at an early age and auditioned for a talent agency when she was 15. She landed several roles in TV shows and music videos before making her film debut in Jamon Jamon (1992).
Penelope Cruz is currently 49 years old. She will turn 50 on April 28, 2023.
Penelope Cruz is 5 feet 6 inches (168 cm) tall.
Penelope Cruz Career
Penelope Cruz has had a prolific and diverse career in film, spanning over three decades and multiple genres. She has worked with acclaimed directors such as Pedro Almodovar, Woody Allen, Ridley Scott, Cameron Crowe, Rob Marshall, and Kenneth Branagh. She has also co-starred with leading actors such as Johnny Depp, Tom Cruise, Matt Damon, Javier Bardem, Nicole Kidman, Daniel Day-Lewis, and Meryl Streep.
Some of her most notable films include:
- Belle Epoque (1992): A comedy-drama set in the early 20th century Spain, where Cruz plays one of four sisters who fall in love with a young soldier.
- Open Your Eyes (1997): A psychological thriller where Cruz plays the love interest of a man who suffers from a disfiguring accident and undergoes a mysterious surgery.
- All About My Mother (1999): A drama directed by Pedro Almodovar, where Cruz plays a pregnant nun who befriends a grieving mother.
- Vanilla Sky (2001): A remake of Open Your Eyes directed by Cameron Crowe, where Cruz reprises her role opposite Tom Cruise.
- Blow (2001): A biographical crime film where Cruz plays the wife of a notorious drug smuggler played by Johnny Depp.
- Volver (2006): Another drama directed by Pedro Almodovar, where Cruz plays a woman who returns to her hometown with her daughter after the death of her mother.
- Vicky Cristina Barcelona (2008): A romantic comedy directed by Woody Allen, where Cruz plays the ex-wife of a painter played by Javier Bardem, who seduces two American tourists played by Scarlett Johansson and Rebecca Hall.
- Nine (2009): A musical drama directed by Rob Marshall, where Cruz plays the mistress of a famous film director played by Daniel Day-Lewis.
- Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides (2011): A fantasy adventure film where Cruz plays the daughter of Blackbeard and the love interest of Jack Sparrow played by Johnny Depp.
- The Counselor (2013): A crime thriller directed by Ridley Scott, where Cruz plays the fiancee of a lawyer played by Michael Fassbender who gets involved in a drug deal gone wrong.
- Murder on the Orient Express (2017): A mystery film directed by Kenneth Branagh, where Cruz plays a missionary who is one of the suspects in a murder case on a train.
- Everybody Knows (2018): A drama directed by Asghar Farhadi, where Cruz plays a woman who returns to her hometown for a wedding and faces a family crisis.
- Pain and Glory (2019): Another drama directed by Pedro Almodovar, where Cruz plays the mother of a film director played by Antonio Banderas who reflects on his life and career.
- Parallel Mothers (2021): A drama directed by Pedro Almodovar, where Cruz plays one of two women who give birth on the same day and share a bond.
Cruz has won several awards and nominations for her performances, including:
- An Oscar for Best Supporting Actress for Vicky Cristina Barcelona (2008).
- A BAFTA Award for Best Actress in a Supporting Role for Vicky Cristina Barcelona (2008).
- A Goya Award for Best Actress for Volver (2006).
- A European Film Award for Best Actress for Volver (2006).
- A Cannes Film Festival Award for Best Actress for Volver (2006).
- A Golden Globe nomination for Best Actress in a Motion Picture – Musical or Comedy for Volver (2006).
- A Golden Globe nomination for Best Actress in a Motion Picture – Musical or Comedy for Nine (2009).
- A Golden Globe nomination for Best Supporting Actress in a Motion Picture for Vicky Cristina Barcelona (2008).
- A Golden Globe nomination for Best Supporting Actress in a Motion Picture for The Assassination of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story (2018).
- A Primetime Emmy nomination for Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Limited Series or Movie for The Assassination of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story (2018).
Penelope Cruz is not only a talented actress, but also a humanitarian and a fashion icon. She has been involved in various charitable causes, such as volunteering in Uganda and India with Mother Teresa, supporting UNICEF, and raising awareness about AIDS. She has also been named as one of the most beautiful and stylish women in the world by various magazines and websites. She has been married to Javier Bardem since 2010 and they have two children: Leo and Luna. She is fluent in Spanish, English, French, and Italian. She is also an avid reader and a fan of yoga and meditation.